Yup... that's the picture that I think of when I check in on the N17... It is not a well behaved boat in the present configuration and the presumptive plan is to fix it after Rio.

Where is ISAF in this mess.... the 49ner was new equipment and they had several mods to get the boat right.... It simply takes a few years.. Why have ISAF not forced Nacra to get the boat right for Rio ... (the cynic in me wants to know... who gets paid off in this fubar).

IMO, The ISAF selection process failed... They should have never selected a boat based on the hype. Hell they trialed a boat with out the proper mast even designed!... and the assurances of pete melvin about just how great the new stuff would be... nothing more then crap! There is nothing revolutionary about this design (that works well)... In fact, they just added to the premium price... EG. curved boards.... carbon sticks and after Rio winged rudders.

As far as I can see... the only group that made out on this fubar is NACRA. The Olympic sailors deserve a boat at least as good as the Tornado or an F18. ISAF should give them that boat NOW.

Meanwhile... the BS that we need NEW... Ground breaking Cutting EDGE Olympic equipment... was a load of crap..
Notice all of the new equipment that ISAF wants to use for 2020 ... eg ... the 470... Laser... 49ner and 49ner XX and RSX Board. These are tried and true gear and have not changed in a generation.

Sadly, we did this to ourselves...

OH... and the grand plan... to move from Mixed to Men's and Woman's Multihulls... Up in smoke... Turns out... (and as I argued with JW at the time) was just nothing more then the propaganda used by OUR representatives to sell the god for saken Mixed disipline.. So... today... we just learned that If they get more events... they will be in KITES... not another multihull.... (Hard to see how you could get MIXED kites)
Nope... once the multihull was in... as Mixed... the Finn class could breathe a sigh of relief... And they just got rubber stamped for 2020.

Remember.... at the time of this decision.. LE had already won the cup on Dogzilla and there was NO WAY IN HELL that the olympics would not fix the Tornado disaster and put a Multihull back in....

We played the hand poorly.

We were screwed by our own volition and short sighted leadership. Sigh....

crac.sailregattas.com