This is a terrific idea and we can't wait to participate! This is a great way to hit the proverbial "reset" button on distance catamaran racing on the east coast. Drop many of the restrictions (boats/legs...not necessarily safety), shorten the distances, and see if it can gain some momentum. Make small tweaks from there year after year.

I had been worried that this type of racing might be gone for the long term. However, there's hope watching what the Everglades Challenge has been doing. That event was born out of kayaking but has since opened up to small boats. They have several checkpoints off the ocean that you have to "present your boat" at and check in along the way. You don't have to stay there for any specific period and you can just haul butt until you've either reached the finish line (in Key Largo) or decided you've had enough and need to sleep. A couple of those used to be behind small bridges that limited the size of the boats that could compete in the event (you would also have to drop a mast of any significant size to get under them). You cannot have any outside assistance (including bringing you food or supplies)...but you can stop and walk to a store or restaurant or hotel and keep going or camp along the way.

They continue to ease the restrictions and now none of the checkpoints require you to drop a mast to reach them and the boat limitations are pretty much down to what's practical to launch from the high water mark to the water and what can handle the shallow water you need to cross to reach some of the checkpoints. You also have an option to just go the first leg and be scored for that. The majority of the competitors are in it just for the adventure. Relatively few are in it for the race but both options are completely viable and supported by the event. They have grown to over 100 vessels ready to start this year. 110 or more I believe. This is astonishing and we should take a serious note of their success.

This isn't the only event they run - they run several in Florida, North Carolina, and Chesapeake. In Florida, they alternate years where the 300 mile race is it's own event and the 300 mile race is the start of the the Ultimate 1,000 mile race around Florida (including paddling the St. Mary's and Suwannee Rivers back to the gulf).

I'm taking part in the Everglades 300 this year with Alan Stewart on his self-built trimaran. A few other names you guys know have also raced this event in the past - Livingston, Pierce, Smyth, etc.

I hope these guys pull together the 300 mile race they're talking about - I think it's a great start to get something going again. We don't need to be restrictive with the boats...let everyone participate if they meet some basic skill requirements and follow safety protocols. Make the information about the event well known and easy to find (and early) and the race will grow. Don't change anything until it is either clear that the formula isn't working or the event grows too big. I bet we could get a sustainable event going with the direction these guys are looking. Let it grow from there.

Jake Kohl