Congratulations Jake on getting a chance to be a watertriber. This race will change your life. I am so glad Alan is getting his trimaran out. When he did the 1000 mile race he and his mother they got a late start, was hit with heavy winds, and spent many days in a row paddling the boat. No good stories of 175+ mile a day runs.

Be aware Alan's most competitive trait is ability to use strategy correctly. Other racers simply do not make correct decisions after rowing and sailing 36 hours straight. Will be watching your progress next month. I love the fact Alan built a tri with daggerboards in the amas. Totally bad butt.

There is a great deal of discussion about distance racing on the forum. After completing a few 100 milers and this year hope to complete the NC Challenge 300 miler. I look at things differently. I embrace "filters". It is hard as hell to sail up wind into a river that narrows to a canal. It goes against normal sailing to race over oyster beds in the dark. Losing your bearings in the dark is scary as hell on the water. But the part I like is it makes you STRONGER. Few of US use the awesome skills we have spent years acquiring on the buoys race course for anything else. The other aspect that I love is the race what you have mentality. Which is starting to give into race what you build. I would never single hand my Isotope offshore in the Worrell 1000 but find it very gratifying to complete a "challenge."

Just remember your getting stronger.

J.P.Ayers
Isotope 186
Holdyourcourse