Originally Posted by mmadge
O.K. Mike,I am hearing problems but no Solutions.Maybe that there is the reason some racers are better then others.Find solutions,try something different,look what other sailors or Classes are doing.What do you suggest?Still waiting to hear from Matt on how to produce better Racers.
Here is another suggestion,get into a Laser or other One Design Class that is popular in your area and Race with them.Invaluable to switch Classes once in a while.

I'm sorry, but WHAT??? I'm the one who opened the question. I wasn't there, so I don't know what we're missing; I'm asking those that were.

Matt brought up an excellent point about sportsmanship, but obviously, that's not the reason for the US results. I wouldn't discount his comment about sailing in big fleets. It changes not only your starting strategy, but just about every single decision you make on the course.

You suggested having more judging on the water as a way to curb cheating, but I can tell you from personal experience that it's at best a Band-Aid, and can be more of a hindrance to sportsmanship and self-policing. Many people tend to expect the judges to do the protesting, others use on-water judges (and umpires) as a way to push the rules even further: If they're not flagged, they push it harder next time.

But, like you, I am more interested in ways to improve the results.

Mike