A young North American guy winning a World Hobie 16 Championship would go a long way in promoting the sport over here.
Think of how many young People Tiger Woods attracted to the game of Golf (maybe Tiger is not the best example of a role model)
Matt ,you must still be adjusting to the time zone change.Your interested in "keeping the sport alive ,but no interest in getting the top guys better".Most of those top guys you are talking about are the ones keeping this sport healthy.How cool would it be to have a Kid like,Trey James or Ben Brown or Kat Porter,featured in a Sailing World Article or front page of there local news paper.Winning attracts attention.
Mike I like your thinking,"how do we get better".Yes it would be great to sail In big fleets all the time,but that is not realistic.
One thing Sail Canada is doing in prep for the Pan Ams is putting on Sailing Camps for the prospective Pan Am teams.I have had the privilege of going to them and have found them very effective.One of our Canadian guys has had his best result ever at a North American,s.I have and am still willing to share the training program they have set forth.

Last edited by mmadge; 02/24/14 07:45 AM.