[quote=Jake]Madge,

I don't think you can discount the experience of starting in a big fleet. I'm a decent sailor but when I get in a big fleet I do NOT start well and it is really costly. It's something that's really hard to practice without doing it frequently.

Then Charter a Laser and head down to Florida next year and enter The Laser Mid-Winters Regatta and get practice starting with a 60+ boat Fleet.You won,t Win the Event but you will get practice starting in a Big Fleet.
I am going to beat my own Drum here.I sail and practice in a Fleet of one up here in Thunder Bay.I have competed in a couple of Hobie 16 North Americans and one Worlds way back in the 80's.Now I have never won any big Event,but one of my strong points is my starting.In fact I had a Compliment from Sue Korz that she said she did not want to start next to me because I was getting such good starts.So take it for what it is worth,I really believe you don,t need to have 50 boats on the line to practice getting good starts.Wether there is 5,50 or 150 boats on the line it still comes down to beating the two boats on either side of you.
Best advice I ever got was from Miles Woods at the 1987 Hobie 18 North Americans,he said " getting a good start in a big fleet,is like going to a good show in a big City,get there early if you want a seat".In other words you better be pretty good at parking your boat for a long time on the line and knowing how to defend that spot.
Which leads me to the earlier point on how to get better.How many racers will actually have the Time or motivation to just go sail up to a mark ,park and sit there,or back up and go back to it.There is a whole lot of drills you can do on your own that will make you a better starter.Get three boats together and have a really short line.How about this one,have your wife or Girl friend sitting on a dock ,blow a whistle when you have crossed an imaginary starting line(My Wife just loves this (: ).Great for finding out how close you are to the line,also makes it really important to have a transit on long starting lines.
I mean what else is there,if you just rely on starting in big fleets in Catamarans to try to get better then it probably is not going to happen.
I am not trying to pretend to know anything,heck I will listen to anyone.If anyone else has ideas on how to get better I am all ears.
One other point Enrique,s name came up.I have nothing but good things to say about him.Any time I have approached him with questions he has been very receptive.Did,t cost me any money.
Jake read this,might help.
http://centerofeffort01.blogspot.ca/2012/08/size-matters-tips-for-starting-

Last edited by mmadge; 02/24/14 09:07 PM.