Yep I'm in the Formula 16 camp as well.

[Linked Image]

However I've sailed on and against several of the boats mentioned and I think the choice that will best suit you will dependent on what YOU value in a boat.

If you are not looking for a spinnaker package on your boat, but are looking for a big international racing cirquit than the A-cat is the best choice.

If you are looking for a spinnaker experience and switching between singlehanded and doublehanded sailing OR if you want to race Formula 18 cats first in wins than you really only have one option : Formula 16 cats = Taipan 4.9 + spi, Stealth F16, Blade F16 or Taipan F16.

If you are looking for a strick one-design class and on site dealor support than your best option is Hobie FX-one. This class is rumoured to be wining over the Inter-17 here in Europe. However the Inter-17R (is stronger in the USA). Also I don't see much class racing in both of these overhere. 1 to 3 boat max.

If you are looking for strickt one-design racing and mostly doublehanding (which you said you are not) than the Spitfire is your preferred option.

So it all comes down to what you want, how your local situation looks like and what other boats are sailing at your club.

Personally I'd narrow down my search to lightweight boats and formula boats. I think one-design is a thing of the past. Eventually we all want to tinker with our boats and customize it to personal preference. This is of course impossible in strict One-design classes. Also the F18 class will dominate the catamaran sailing in the next decade and so a boat that is up to racing against these may well be a wise decision. This means it must be an open rules class and spinnaker equipped boat. Otherwise you will be left behind as One-design classes can not make use of new developments.

I singlehand my boat halve the time and race doublehanded against the F18's at my club and in bigger regatta's. I feel quite adequate and in control. I felt more nimble than on the other named alternatives. With the mostly exception of the A-cat.

Before I get flamed by my usual distractors. I liked the FX-one as a boat although I really do like my F16 better and often in no small terms. 110 kg instead of 145 kg; + 5 % better performance, 2500 Euro's cheaper in purchase, need I support my opinion more ? I never sailed the Inter-17. I respect the A-cats although they are truly slower around the course than a properly sailed F16 in anything above 5 knots of wind, sorry guys but that is just the truth. The spinnaker is a killer, not to mention the extra width when it is blowing dogs off chains. With respect to singlehandeing I do not have much regard for the others. There are all nice boats but they will not cut it into the future.

So if anything I would advice to narrow down the search to A-cat, FX-one and Formula 16 with the last being really my personal favorite.

Ohh, with respect to the Taipan alu masts. I righted my Typhoon F16 (home-build modified Taipan 4.9 with spi) singlehanded in 4 knots of wind and fully rigged as a F16 doublehander. I weight 85 kg in my shorts.It felt like it could be done with even less weight. I tried rigting several of the others and failed. (BTW; Blade F16 and Stealth F16 should be just as easy to right or easier than my homebuild Typhoon).

For all you guys that have trouble rigting the F16's; you are doing something wrong. Have you slacked the downhaul fully. When it is fully tensioned than it does become much harder to right. Same with keeping the traveller centred. But really this is just basic stuff that one has remember on any cat before rigting, except with the A-cats. Afterall there are only two cats that have a lighter mast. A-cats and the shadow.

I hope this helps.

Wouter

Attached Files
Last edited by Wouter; 05/18/05 12:54 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands