too fast?

If the FX-one is too fast than forget about all the other option named, except the EU I-17, because they are all faster still. I think the difference between an A-cat and the FX-one is 8 points under Texel handicap system = 5 minutes per hour faster.

the problem is that the opinions ppl have about the FX one are just sooo different from each other .. i mean one person says its the perfect cat and that its a good choice but then some1 comes along and says that its practically the worst they have ever tried

I think we all are keeping it positive and try not to put down any "other" design. Which is good. Also none of these boats are bad choices. There are no bad choices anymore when looking at these modern cats. In basis they are all good boats. So the decision on which to choose need to be made on what your personally prefer, or rather what (small ?)difference between boats you regard as attractive. I don't think that there is a perfect choice out there. One-size doesn't fit all.

Now I can tell you what I disliked about the FX-one but I won't as that would be unethical to the sailors who are very happy with their FX-one as well as the Hobie company. Also none of us want to be caught in an embarrashing situation. Example : only a few weeks ago an FX-one sailor was explaining to me how my F16 was difficult to sail through the surf; the guy really didn't know what he was talking about. He never sailed any F16 while I sailed both of these boats in many conditions and found that there is really NO significant difference in how they handle the surf. So I think most of us stick to stating what we like best about our own boats and hope that that will help you. This will indeed make the "help" confusing.

I trust that you did a search on past posts on the type of boats that are being discussed. A search on this forum. You will find alot of past comments that may help you.

One other option might be to start asking clearly defined questions. Example :

How heavy are you and could you right boat X ? With enough answers you will be able to establish the min weight required to right a particular design. People will answer these questions as answering these is different from stating :"I dislike boat X because I couldn't right it at such and such weight while I can right boat Y.

Also the way somebody views a particular type and how he values it will always be strongly influenced by his or her prefered use. Example ; people may love the handling of boat X but I may personally don't care much for it as all my club races are dominate by F18 and F20's (much much faster boats). So I will think badly of boat X mostly because I want to be sailing among the regular fleet at my club and not feel comfortable because of the superior handling but come in 15 minutes later. In another post a good example of such balancing of conflicting desires was given. By the guy selling his FX-one because he didn't enjoy being way in front all the time. So he may prefer boat X while I, who does sail often in a very High performance fleet, would dislike boat X and much more prefer a FX-one (in this example then, because F16 is really the at for me)

So my advice would be to specify what you really want and expect of your new boat and then see which one suits that wishlist the best.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands