I do think boats should be named. Some would disagree, especially the smaller boats. They each have their own personality and quirks. It is important to be comfortable and cats when sailed well truly become an extension of your body. It also inspires a higher level of ownership and pride.

My first catamaran was named “Hotspur”. The “spur” gives it a little piece of Texas, however the name was taken from the book “Hornblower and the Hotspur” by CS Forrester. The book is number three in a 10 + series of naval fiction set in the late 1700’s. Yep, when British canvass, wood, gunpowder and cannon balls ruled the sea! This is Hornblower’s first command and HMS "Hotspur" becomes part of the Channel Fleet, blockading the French fleet based at Brest. The routine of life on blockade duty is broken by furious North Atlantic gales. "Hotspur" is a sloop of war and although smaller, slower and outgunned by virtually every other warship, she is able to defeat a French frigate with better boat handling and tactics and uses her strengths to stage daring raids on the French coast.

I tried for a long time to come up with the perfect name, and nothing was just right. Then without trying so hard, "Hotspur" just came and I knew it was right. No name for the new cat yet. Get the book and read it. No doubt my favorite in the series.

Last edited by David Swingle; 01/18/02 02:13 PM.