Does seem a bit worrying that they are launching a new hull shape though, will that not make the last Nacra F18`s a bit obsolete ? And how does that work out when a "Nacra F18 Nationals" is held, all boats are meant to sail off the same rating but there will be performance differences between hull shapes.

We've already been over the obsolete thing...show me the obvious speed advantage before you start calling my boat "obsolete"! I still believe the differences will be pretty minor to most sailors.

How they are going to handle the Nacra Nats and Worlds is a good question...but to me, I think they have clearly committed to be an international Formula 18 boat without regard for the manufacturer class at this point...however, just because the hull has a different shape, doesn't mean that the older boats are worthless and uncompetitive (see previous posts).

In my opinion this is vastly different from the Hobie strategy, which seems to be working.

Heh? Working? While they may have more active "Hobie Tiger Class" boats they're platform has remained the same because it has a good track record at major F18 events. If they slip in the results to some of the new development do you think we'll see a new F18 from Hobie? I feel pretty certain that we would...boy, wouldn't that mess up the "strategy"? Exactly which strategy are you referring too? HCA's fence straddling to maintain a Hobie one design class and a competitive F18 platform? This has worked thus far because there have not been major changes in the Tiger platform to date but they have had to make uncharacteristic class modifications to keep the Tiger class in phase with the Tiger F18 development.

In my opinion, I don't see why I would go to great lengths to participate in a one manufacturer class with my F18 when I have six times as many and four times as large F18 events around the country. Part of the reason that I chose the boat I sail on currently, however, is because the manufacturer class rules mirror those of F18.

Jake Kohl