The Nacra F18 Rules are just the same as the IF18 Rules with the exception that you have to use Performance components (there are some exceptions like blocks and line) to be able to race in Performance Race Week. The F18 and F18 Infusion will race head to head at Racine.

Performance hosted the first two NAF18 North American Championships as part of their Performance Race Week. First in Traverse City, Michigan and then the next year in Pensacola Beach. I heard that there was a bunch of crap that came from the Hobie-only crowd in Pensacola Beach and Performance said "never again". The good thing is that the NAF18 was on its feet by then and has been able to conduct their Championships without additional help from Performance.

I truly believe that there would be no NAF18 if it weren't for Performance, because Hobie resisted it (I don't hink it fit well with their plan to eliminate all non-Hobies from Hobie fleet-run regattas).

I don't resent Hobie for driving a "Hobie-only" campaign, even though I think it is bad for beach cat racing in general. I congratulate them for it! Good business if it works! If it doesn't, they are no worse for it. I think they believed it was the answer to reviving the glory days of the early 80's, and it may turn out that way. We will see. I would love to see 300 boats at a regional championship like I saw in Traverse City in 1981 or 1982! Rick and Mary, I saw you there, sanding your yellow TheMightyHobie18 hulls with 600 grit wet-or-dry! (Maybe it was only Mary doing the sanding, but I saw Rick someplace!) It was a special event and I will never forget seeing all those boats with their sails up getting ready to leave the beach in the morning. Unfortunately, Division 10 no longer has any races.

How did I get here? Must be old age and hardening of the water (it is freezing up here in Michigan!). Sorry for wandering around so much...just seemed to come out!

Les Gallagher