One thing I missed from Stuarts discussion, is the team who has accepted that the race is not against others, but a measurement of their own skills, knowlegde and abilities. With this view on racing, not winning isn't a big issue, but a way to measure where you are, and an opportunity to learn more.
This team either have a plan for world domination trough perfection in their class, or want to see how good they can possibly get within their constraints (time, money, family etc), and accept that. It's not that tough if you are ready for it and know that you are working with yourself and your team.

Personally, I am happy if fleet leaders care enough to come over and give some advice on both boat and performance on the water. I can see (and have seen) resentment over this, but I appreciate it and always carefully consider whatever advice they offer.

Jake had a perceptive post in the Alter Cup thread, which I found pretty relevant to this discussion also:
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...Forum=Test&Main=62407&#Post62585

Eric Twiname wrote a great book on this subject, "Sail, race and win", highly recommended.

A very good write up Mark, thanks! The "do not let the loosing boat quit the game" part is just so true, as is the "group inclusiveness" discussion (classic Mazlow)..