I have rarely seen a cat rigged with a protest flag. Neither have I heard the call "protest" on water, not even in port/starboard situations (just "inspired" language exchanged in the heat of the moment). Dont catsailors protest?

Most of the cats used to carry protest flags, but the new racing rules have eliminated the protest flag for small boats. I wish they would go back to requiring it, because on a breezy day in fast boats, sometimes the word "Protest" is not heard by the other boat, so I think it is good to have a visual as well as an audible signal.

Yes, catamaran sailors DO protest. WE certainly do, even in our little, local, weekly fleet racing. It is important for people to learn the rules and get in the habit of paying the consequences for infractions by doing a 360.

In larger, more serious races, if somebody fouls you and you do not protest, and if another competitor observes the infraction, that other competitor can protest you, in turn, for not protesting.

Even if it is a minor foul that does not affect you or your position in the race, it could affect the positions of other competitors. So it doesn't pay for you to be a nice guy to your brother or best friend, because YOU could end up being the one disqualified from the race by third parties.

Last edited by Mary; 12/04/05 04:41 PM.