Look this is what I was talking about :

I worked with Steve last winter in [color:"red"] his [/color] shop to lay up the hulls.

I purchased new Flyer Rudders and rudderheads, and purchased [color:"red"] used [/color] daggers.

... I [color:"red"]got a used [/color] used curved travelor from a friend, [color:"red"]used an old [/color] travelor car ...

... Phil Kinder made me a tramp. ...

I'm assuming here Phil Kinder is a private person and not a sailmaker and he was only charging you material costs.

... The only mold was the hull mold. ...

Which was build and is owned by another guy. This guy made the expenses and allows the others to seriously cut down on production costs. This is not something most of us have access too.

... added components [color:"red"] from my spare parts box [/color] . ...

... I will also [color:"purple"] lend you [/color] the Proset gun ...

Great please send that tool to me in the Netherlands I promise I will send it back to you.

dont think there is any more than I am giving away.

Indeed, you are not making any secrets of it, but I think we have established now that there was more too it then what the first impression was suggesting. You did have access to a mould of what looks like a competitive A-cat and in the group there was ample experience in building good quality hulls (boats). Some other guys helped you with second hand parts, stitching your trampoline and what not (all rather significant cost savings) and you already had some stuff yourself you could use.

Did you order a new mainsail ? Or did you pick up a second hand one ?

Indeed no secrets, but some other guy must be able to reproduce all these things in order to come out below or at 10K himself. Try getting a secondhand curved rear traveller everyone ?

Actually I think Rolf made an excellent comment here. Best is to buy an old cat cheaply for all the parts like blocks, mainsheet system etc and save a bundle not having to buy these things new. Because indeed these parts new are alot of cost.

Fair winds to you and your new boat Bill,

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 02/07/06 05:19 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands