The problem is that there usually is no good "feedback" to regatta organizers and race committees because there seems to be an unwritten rule about not criticizing.

Nobody wants to discourage organizers and volunteers, so most people keep their mouths shut (except for grumbling to fellow sailors). So instead of providing constructive criticism or suggestions, some people just do not go back to that regatta, and then the organizers have no idea why the numbers are declining.

My suggestion would be to have a generic, universal survey form of some sort to hand out to everybody who attends every regatta so all the sailors can express their opinions and give suggestions anonymously to help the organizers and race committee know what the majority of the sailors liked and did not like about the regatta, including the racing format.

The problem is, do you think most people would be willing to fill out a survey like that at the end of the regatta and stuff it in a "Survey Box" so nobody knows who said what and it is totally anonymous?

I will even volunteer to make up a survey that we could put on our web site and can be downloaded by regatta organizers.
Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

My father didn't like to hurt people's feelings, so if he got bad food or bad service in a restaurant, he just paid his bill and never went back there again. We don't want that to happen to our regattas, do we?