I just noticed in Dean's second post about the diamond wires just holding the mast up. Could you be referring to the shrouds? Diamond wires are to keep the mast from going too far out of column.
John Courter

Well, that's what I get for trying to think about fun while I'm at work. The SolCat18 did not have diamond wires. I was trying to describe the forestay which was led to a stay adjuster located on a bridle.

Also, I can add some info to the rudder release. The stock rudder release was a clamcleat looking thing and was cast aluminum. What I should have mentioned is that the piece, when "cleated", fit into a stainless clip, shaped similar to a C section, but pinched to grab the piece along it's length on it's edge. The stainless clip had enough grip on it to keep the cast piece in place until the rudder hit something. Then, the cast piece would pivot out on it's pin to release the tension on the shock cord to the rudder. There was a handle on a stainless cable, secured by a ball swaged to the cable, that you pulled on to pull the cast piece into the stainless clip to lock the release. To release the rudder normally, you would grab the handle, pull it outboard to pull the cast piece out of the stainless clip.

How can I remember this from thirty years ago but can't remember what my wife said last night?
Don't answer that.

That pole amidship will keep your shins black and blue and yellow and purple. Learn to avoid it during a tack.

Sorry for the late reply.