Ajnawrocki,

I owned a Sol Cat from 1974-1986 and can answer some of your questions. Yes the boat does have a tenancy to take on water if it isn't "sealed properly. There is a way to find them and works the best if the boat is dismantled, but you can try it with the boat assembled.
Take a vacuum cleaner or other source of LOW pressure and blow it into the drain plug. The hulls will expand slightly. Then apply soapy water all around the hulls. You'll see bubbles at all leaks. Mark where the leaks are then dry the boat real good. Then turn the vacuum cleaner around so it sucks air out of the hulls, and while its attached, apply silicone sealant to the leaks. The vacuum should draw some of the sealant into the crack/seam.

I used to do this and only had a little bit of water in the hulls after a hard day of sailing/racing.

The Hulls flex when sailing, so when you are coming off a gust and the boats slows down, the hull will expand to normal and suck in water. I found that its the edge of the top deck that draws in a lot of water.

Sol Cats did not come with spreaders, at least the ones I saw, I had mine out when it was really blowing like stink and never had a problem.

What was the sail number of your boat?

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Charlie