Bob...
Since this is about Bodie's assesment of the talent pool in Tornado's... Boards, Women' and Men's Skiffs...

Did they talk about the pool of women on olympic campaigns?

We traditionally are strong in women's events and especially new women's events. If there was a possibility of a women's catamaran that would change the dynamics considerably for the USOSC.

How about the total pool of skiff sailors in the country?

There is no denying that it is very strong.

I guess I am asking if this decision was based on fantasy, wishful thinking or politics... or do they have real facts ( eg names and assesments of potential Olympic sailors).

The decision is strongly based on the politics of trying to have an influence on the ISAF process and manipulate the events in the direction of US strengths. I think they have the facts correct at this point in time. My major disagreement with this is on the principal. I think that the Olympics should look like sailing with all the major disciplines represented.

The fact of the matter is... US Sailing has never believed that medal talent could come up through the beach cat community. Robbie Daniel is the current exception. Johnny Lovel and Lars Guck were great college sailors who paid for their own development to get into the Tornado elite. So... what is the difference in 2007. They have to build a program to train skiff girls from scratch.. The skiff men pool is equally small and lean.... What is their reason for not training talent for catamarans. The jump from college 420's to skiffs or cats is equally demanding.

We need to see talent come out of the catamaran community more often. Everyone pays for their own campaigns through their own fundraising. This is the same in every class. the USOSC doesn't really build "programs". They take proven talent and try to give it a final push over the top. If there is going to be a program WE need to build it and we are starting 100 years behind keel boats and about 75 behind dinghys.

They ALWAYS seem to pick their pony early and then start tilting the game in that persons favor. Is their an element of ... none of the catamaran sailors will play our game... so. a pox on them?

I don't think so.

The Brits and Europe are not likely to dump the Tornado in 2012 so... the 64,000 question is... WILL THEY PUT RESOURCES INTO DEVELOPING THE Catamaran TALENT POOL... or does this ISAF decision mean... we surrender in the cat and board area... no matter what?

I do think that Europe will not let the multihull go away but it's scary to think that any MNA is considering it.
I think US Sailing has surrendered in terms of the board sailing. Not quite as much in catamarans. If there is going to be a development of young elite catamaran sailors it's going to be up to us. That's the way it is across all the classes. For example CISA does a fantastic job training elite dingy sailors (probably the best), but that is not a USOSC program.
BTW: US Sailings position on multihulls changes significantly if there is a possibility that the class would change to something other than the Tornado. A new class means a fresh start in terms of the talent pool and the USOSC thinks they will have a chance at that game. Don't shoot the messenger.

How much of this decision is based on ...the notion.. crap... we have no training programs whatsoever... BUT... women's skiffs are brand new... we have a shotin the first cycle... after that... the other nations will kick our butt in the development game?

See previous comments about the training program. I think the USOSC feeling is that the US will do well in events with new equipment and in women's classes.

Is the olympic game so proffesional now that we just can't afford a developoment program... So we need to pick our 1 or at most 2 horses early and push them... the trials are just an exhibition sailing exercise. The rank and file cat sailors are not even close to this game and so our complaints about this are naieve.

The Star and the Tornado are particularly professional, making it very hard to break into the top of the fleet, not to mention that those fleets are the smallest at the Olympics so it's very hard for even the best sailors to get there at all. We have a strong base of professional keelboat sailors to draw from in the Star. Not so much in the Tornado.

Before, I asserted that their reasons would be laughable... While we might disagree with the final decision of US Sailing.... Did their points have merit and US Sailing and ourselves disagre on how to evaluate the facts?

Personally I disagree on the principal.

I guess the notion that a strong grass roots sailing program through out the country will strenghen our Olympic efforts is completly wrong.

Grass roots is great for long term and catamaran sailing in general. In this instance the only plan of attack would be to start at the top with a few elite kids that can hanndle the long hard road and expand down into grass roots programs. It's a bit opposite of what you need to do in order to just increase participation.

I believe the changes that US Sailing put in place would make it easier to understand the budget. How much of the general membership dues are devoted to Olympic sailing. Dean Brenner has supposedly done a good job fundraising... Is the Olympic portion approaching self sufficiency?

Absolutely ZERO dollars from the membership go into the Olympic program. It's completely independent. Dean has made big strides on the fundraising side but it's a long road.

Do we have a beef about how the budget is being spent?

Remember that Lovell is an accountant and he is on the US Sailing Audit committee. The US won a medal in the Tornado last time around. That means they get more money from the USOC. New guys and girls with no big results get nothing across the board. Dean is working hard on the fundraising aspect but it's a long hard road.

Thanks again for taking the time and money to go make the case. Sounds a bit like you were talking to the hand... It must have been frustrating.

Thanks again
Mark