...the Board expressed very clearly... that they were voting for the disciplines in which they thought the US had the best medal chances in 2012...

Some thoughts:

1) If it can be demonstrated that the US has more chances of medals in those 6 classes, I'd say the Board is honestly doing what it is supposed to do: giving their vote to the classes that bring more medals.

2) Other countries (France, Austria, Spain, Argentina, etc.) that see good good chances for a medal in the Tornado will certainly vote for the "double handed multihull open".

3) I don't see the ISAF dropping the Tornado so easily. It would be quite difficult to defend this cause. Remember that the B Class was created by the ISAF itself, and the Tornado is a B Class designed specifically for the Olympics.

4) I think the lack of US support for the multihull will actually motivate some countries to follow the (expected) French and British vote for the Tornado.

5) The US vote is only one vote. Remember that the Tornado is a British design and that the French recommendations for changes in the T were almost exactly those enforced by ISAF a few years ago. If both England and France vote for the T, most European countries will follow.

5) Even if the existing "double handed multihull open" class is dropped, the Tornado may still be the equipment of choice for a "double handed dinghy" class. It is not simple or easy, but it is possible. And would "save face" for the ISAF.

All the best,

Luiz