I was told there was a problem with the jib hitting the spreaders. I've never heard of this on the Blade before and asked why Matt was not allowed to help tune the masts. I was told because he is a competitor that would be unfair.

Tim, you miss my point. Matt was consulted by Jake and Kevin extensively before the first mast was even assembled. The mast on Matt's boat was measured carefully. They went off and did a pow-wow and came back with numbers that were then applied to the new masts. A great deal of thought appeared to go into this process, and each mast was set, changed, and then changed again. I assume, because it makes sense and I have been in Jake's shoes, that Matt's personal mast settings were taken as an extreme. Same is true of the mast rake. Rudder rake was factory pre-set and not adjustable.

I did not have a problem with the jib on the spreaders - not once. That has much to do with how you set the rotation limiter. My opinion is that the jib can hit the spreaders no matter what the mast and spreader rake setting. We found the boat to be really happy with the limiter set to where the sheeted-in jib was about an inch off the spreader. As breeze came up, we first increased the slot by moving the jib car out (not quite to the max) and then limiting mast rotation more and more, which is a critical setting on this boat.

So - you are off base, my friend, in asserting that Matt's advice was not taken somehow. For next year, I'll bet the trophy that is sitting in my living room that the same process will be followed - plus there is a pretty well-researched tuning guide already out for the Capricorn that will likely be used.

Remember - this event is about getting boatspeed out a possibly unfamiliar platform, and having consistency from boat to boat as the teams move through the rotation. You are taking misconceptions on your part, assuming them to be fact, and making conclusions. Perhaps if you were present to see the process (volunteer?), it might seem less opaque to you.

Again - glad you made it out to spectate.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.