I was pretty worn out and getting hammered at work at the time.

I think we must see Matts comments in the same light, at least that is how I took these postings.

While I still am not certain about how it would have impacted the jib

It wouldn't, the phenomenon of the spreader arms hitting the jib is the result of some crews running alot of mast rotation. On F16's the mast rotation is really never rotated that much, not even in mild conditions. But then again we can't blame the crews as they were new to boats indeed !

With respect to mast rotation on F16's, John Williams appears to have the right trim as he mentioned that on their boat the spreaders were to the back of the jib. In numbers the mastrotation of the superwing mast is never more then 45 degrees of the centreline. It is pointing to the daggerboard well or behind it. In stronger winds it is even pointing to the rearbeam ending or rudderstock (less then 30-25 degrees). The spreader rake is typically 30-35 degrees, thus the tip of the spreader arm will never be more then 70 mm forward (less then 3 inches) of the mainbeam. In big wind the spreader arm tip will even be 50 mm to the rear of the mainbeam. The leech of the jib is more in front of the mainbeam then that.

On the downwind legs the jib leech will be relatively slack allowing the spreader arm to pass the leech without hanging up on it.

Still it would have been smart by the sailmaker to have put dacron patches on the jib where the spreaders are. I have personally stitched them on there myself to reduce wear when the boat is head to wind and the leech is flapping against the spreaders.

I hope this helps interested sailors/parties.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands