It wouldn't take much for the distance between the pole tip & the halyard block on the mast to vary by upto 50mm.

From memory the "toe in" of my marstrom T decreased by 12mm when the rig was tensioned & you would only need 5mm to 10mm additional "toe in" to loose the desired setting on the luff of the kite.

Added to this is the potential of the mast to move forward with the gusts also affecting the distance between the head & tack.

The movement would be noticed (performance wise) after about 20-30mm of movement

Yes, but these problems are not solved by the pelican striker setup as shown in the initial picture. This is actually the second tangent of my argument.

The hulls flex right ? Then they also do so at the bridle fittings allowing the bridle strop and strut to move upwards and taking the pole with it. The strut is about 40% of the full pole length so any movement upwards at the bridle strop will get amplified by 250% at the tip of the pole.

Additionally, the total relaxation of the spi luff is the result of multiple factors like tip flexing, toe-in hulls, mast flexing forward and stretch in the halyard and cloth itself. To name a few, every element in the rig is in movement and varying, yet we implicetly assume that luff relaxation is mostly determined by the tip of the pole flexing as a result of the "small" angle of the tip support wires. And then we also assume that the full pole flexing is also seen due to relatively small variations in luff tension while the spinnaker is sheeted. Why not have the tip of the pole flex upward by say 30 mm after hoisting and sheeting and then only see it flex continiously between say 25 mm and 35 mm while sailing ? Causing what ? 10 % differences in spinnaker draft ? Is that alot compared to other disturbances like waves hitting the hulls and shaking the platform ?

In scientific discourse this is called "jumping to conclusions". There is too much going on to be able to derive a foundation for such a conclusion upon inspection of the setup itself. Ergo we need specific test and numbers (=measurements) which many people feel is a dirty word these days.

Personally I don't really understand the long luffed spinnakers either. I see no real benefit to dropping the pole and luff down to between the hulls or just above it. Lots of turbulance down here due to waves and the lifted hull and also the wind speeds are really low so low above the water surface. I feel the longer luff HERE is not worth the additional hassle of securing the pole that low. But I have nu numbers to support that either I'm afraid.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands