Simon: How does that process work? (developing/improving a mainsail).

Tony,

I've known Grant for ages (we’ve grown up sailing against each other for the last 30 years or so) and I trust his skill in making sails totally. He's made my last 3 kites for my Inter 17, and my last kite is the one Grant is now selling as his "F16 Kite". He's also made other sails for boats I've used and they have all been good.

I've always just given Grant what I am trying to get from a sail and he has delivered. So the kite spec was basically:

1, bit flatter overall
2, similar luff length to my previous one
3, Ability to carry high, yet still power for low

Now having sailed with it a couple of times, both in about 12kts of wind, I can say that it feels faster and has improved in the consistancy of my speed. Initially I thought while out sailing it was crap as I did not get "kicks in the back" I was getting from the Landy as the boat accelerated, but when I looked at the GPS, I noticed that the speeds were more constant around 17kts and I reaslised that the boat was just not slowing down as much.

I also feel that the kite needs more trimming to get the best out of it. Its more effort, but the GPS is (I think) showing that it's faster as boat speed is more consistant.

Now the mainsail development is more complex. Again Grant and I have discussed what I want from the sail, we’ve made some decisions on Luff length and curve, foot length, head length and profile of the leach. For the record, luff will be longer but the overall luff curve will be very similar to my current Landy. The head will also be longer. Foot will be shorter as we plan to add area to the top of the sail, draft will be a bot further forward and the sail will be very slightly flatter.
we are yet to be 100% certain about the leach profile, and we’ll be looking at some different battens.

I have to say that most of this, again, has been me explaining what I want for the sail to be able to do and Grant giving me options.

I do not expect we’ll get it 100% right first time, so we’ll evaluate it and then (maybe) make a few changes if needed. Should be right well before the GC.

If people are interested in sails from Grant, either drop me a PM and I'll get in touch and can keep you up to date as to how developments are going or contact Grant directly at his website, Google "GP Sails" and mention my name when you do.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here