Ok now I am really confused
I thought the F104 class was designed to bring existing catamarans of similar performance together and compete equally. If that is so how can you have one type of boat be better than the others in the class.

Here some info on the F104 concept. First in their official French language source and then translated by babelfish and myself. Babelfish sometimes makes weird translations and I'm reasonably skilled in French. The orginial babelfish translation is given at the end of this post so everyone can check my alterations for compliance.

Source : http://class104.over-blog.org/article-19063996.html

dated 26 april 2008

********************************************************************************

Hello,

In order to race in the 104 class.

It is needed that the boat is produced in series, with the definition being that least ten boats have been produced and that it has been presented to the public at an international nautical trade fair.

Those existing boats that currently have an ISAF rating of 104, will be considered to be in conformity with the class “104”; nevertheless in order to guarantee the credibility of the class “104”, unexpected checks during events known as “104” could be made at all times by the measurers of the Class.

The idea being that the boats are self-certified by their manufacturer.

There can be / will be a check whether the boats are within the 104 framework at regatta's in order to validate that there is not any non-compliance.

By default an Evolution, Spitfire, FX One or Mattaia Esse and soon the Nacra F17 are class Legal when they are sailed in their original configuration.

The list of the boats that are C104 Class compliant will be published annually at the time of the Nautical trade fair of Paris.

Replacement sails may only come from the manufacturing of the boat.

Thus these can not be certified by measurement as executed by the class authority

In following, an association will be created; it is obviously desirable to adhere to it and to have some say on class 104 and its rules. For the moment, there is no obligation to adhere to 104 (The association does not exist yet), since this classification is semi-official and is only with the will of the organizers of regattas

Babelfish unaltered translation :

Hello, For régater classifies 104 of them: Is needed that its boat is a boat of series, the definition is generally qu' there is had at least ten boats of products and qu' it is presented to an international nautical trade fair. D' after the project of gauge: The current existing boats currently with a rating ISAF of 104, will be considered in conformity with the class “104”, nevertheless in order to guarantee the credibility of the class “104”, of unexpected controls on the tests known as “104” could be made at all times by the gauges of the Class. L' idea being qu' they car-are certified by their manufacturer. It n' there will have of gauge of the boats that within the framework of taking away on regattas in order to validate qu' it n' there does not have deviance. By defect an Evolution, Spit, a FX One or Esse and soon Nacra F17 are Class Legal in their original configuration. The list of the boats C104 Class Legal will be published annually at the time of the Nautical trade fair of Paris. The veils of replacement will be able to come only from manufacturing boat. Thus not of certif of gauge to be managed by the landlord. Then, an association will be creates, it is obviously desirable d' to adhere to it to have some say on class 104 and its rules. For the moment no obligation d' adhesion n' 104 (l' is put to be classified; ESA n' do not exist yet), since this classification is semi-official and is with the only will of the organizers of regattas…

Last edited by Wouter; 06/13/08 07:34 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands