Sue, I have been a strong proponent of a level rated class solution for the USA...(When you get enough boats... its a step up from handicap and below lots of strong OD classes) It makes a lot more sense then small one design classes.

But No, F18 is not an example.

I believe you have a formula F18 box rule which evolves and serves to limit lots of inovations. (good things as far as the class membership is concerned)

This would be completely at odds with a Level rated rule which used ISAf or Texel to calculate the rating. as macca said... change a rated paramaeter on your boat to get into the class.

Moreover, the F18 Class has a real tendancy to fracture and go one design as soon as they can in the USA.
The BS that both an F18 class and a F18 OD class can exist is crap because people choose to go racing 5 or 6 times a year and then you don't have critial mass for both classes.\
US Sailors are simply NOT going to listen or support any national authority that tells them what they can or can not do.

I came to the conclusion that human nature is such that variables in the wide open level rated class undermine buy in to the class. As soon as one type is thought to be faster... it's a game over. EG. the Ventilo 20 crushed the F20 class in that now dead formula class.

the US tried an informal level rated with Nacra 5.8's and Prindle 19's. it just drove up the "Horse's for courses debate," Basically Humans always think it's the equipment... not the skill set on the tiller.

I think level racing is a great idea... BUT is seemingly hard to make happen. The US has their I17 fleet and a F16 single handed fleet (sort of kind of fleet)... You would think after 4 years that they would have found a way to get ONE event scheduled, promoted and sailed.

It seems that only a National sailing authority like the French can make and enforce a level rating class. Sounds like the sailors are going along with it in France.

([censored]... the USA sailors can't even join a national class, much less follow a USSA directive.)

Do the french stop a club from hosting a one design race in events whihc host a level rated F104 class?

What else are the french doing to make a level rated class happen.

Thanks
Mark

crac.sailregattas.com