Maybe if we had a class association run by the members that would be a class that would interest people more from the outside. I know I'd like to join a class where I'm not controlled by a group of H16 sailors or a factory.

Mike, the boat has been out there for 10 + years... Why the sudden interest in organizing a class? ... What do you guys suddenly want to do? (besides get cheaper stuff?)

The factory is running the only class event that I am aware of, called the nationals, because the sailors have not stepped up. The factory rules are... must have all nacra brand stuff if we are to spend money and time and run this event for you.

Do you, or have or ever had the basics.... email list of owners, email list of racers, forum to develop a consensus on class initiatives, liaison with the builder, minutes published from any meeting at the nationals, Regional racing schedule published someplace. promotion of the class to new racers, etc etc.

It's a stretch to say that there is really a US Nacra 20 class... It's more accurate to say that people occasionally race nacra 20's of various flavors together.

It's the same ol same ol story... Somebody else will run my class and MAYBE I will support them and their activities.

I just got back from the Annapolis boat show.... years and years ago at the boat show ... I asked the same question of the Isotope, Nacra, Prindle, Hobie and Dart dealers when I bought my first boat.
Why should I buy your boat? ... How can I tell your boat is better? I understood all the performance answers like better built, point's better, boomless = girlfriend friendly, faster, lighter, stiffer, etc etc. The Hobie answer was "it's the class organization and the Hobie lifestyle"

The lifestyle BS made me gag and I did not want to race my first boat so Hobie's answer ... the class association made no sense to me. I completely dismissed this answer as having any merit what's so ever.

Well, I was naive. ... when it comes to wanting to go racing... the class association and effective leadership and rank and file support for the racing program are the most important factor.

Yes it is a shame that the Nacra 20 looks doomed because it is a nice boat and targets the larger sailing teams... but forming a class around a common purpose of "getting cheaper stuff" seems a bit of reach at this late date..... Sigh!

crac.sailregattas.com