No doubt you can get great sails from any number of sailmakers.. But this is the question right... do you stop the decline or speed it up.

I don't think this is the most pressing issue.
Seems to me... you need that series of Nacra 20 races that the core of the class agrees to support and then you work to get those regional sailors with boats to get to those regattas.

If you have a dynamic helpful racing class doing one scheduled event a month or two ... you get the weekend sailor to come out and then you can get new interest in the boat.

Here is a recent example..the New England A Class fleet is based in Bristol RI... they have at least half of the top sailors in the class racing Tuesday nights. While the class has grown elsewhere in the USA.... It has been stuck at the same level for years and years in New England. The problem was that the class ran one weekend event a year in Bristol and that was it for all of New England A class Racing.
So... the class put out the call to support a new regatta at American Yacht Club and featured the regatta as one of their 4 highpoint events. The class hopes that the YC members would see what an A class catamaran was all about and establish a fleet at the club. Secondly. the event was midway between Bristol and Hopactong A Class clubs and would be a good regatta venue. The Annapolis Fleet was about 4 1/2 hours away as well. The regatta was great and the 20+ A class boats were the largest fleet at the dinghy regatta.... Time will tell if the hook sets and club members get boats.

For sure... if you only have one event a year... you are just a walking member of the dead boat society. Then you will be perfectly able to get sails from any sailmaker in the world.

How many Performance boats ..... None.... my choice... choose between new I20 or Tornado.... I thought the I20 was ugly as sin.. I thought the class associations were about the same... I knew I could get great sails for the Tornado... The T is truly a great boat.. the N20 is a good boat.

Next boat... F16 or A class.... F16... No class structure or history of going racing.... True today as it was then... A class... they go racing.

It's all about who you can count on to go racing. The only other classes I can say that about are the Hobie 16 sailors (I don't have any 100 lbs midget friends or kids to race with).

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 10/20/08 07:09 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com