so the original question was about the price of a mast. Aside from some anecdotal evidence on Tornado/Aclass mast prices, would any domestic manufacturer have an idea of a REALISTIC price for the mast if they were given the specs? Is it really low demand that is sparking the high cost?

Which costs more: changing the sailplan configuration to use a more readily available (and therefore cheaper)spar (like Tornado carbon masts), or paying more for spars that meet current configurations?

N20 owners: would you rather re-fit your boat to a new configuration ($5000 Tornado mast, $2000 main, $700 jib, $1200 spin) or suffer $11k if you break your current mast? (Insurance coverage issues aside)

I'm sure PC has solicited other mfg. companies for pricing on things like spars, rigging, and fit-out. Why, then, have companies not produced estimates lower than the rumored $11k spar?

And yes, I'd agree that beachcat sailors (and maybe flying dutchman class) are the cheapest sailors around. I was rail meat on a Tartan 31 that was a 2knot s-box, at best placing near the back of the pack (phrf) and the owner ponied up over $150 per race just to show up. Never mind sheltering 4 crew two weekends a month, buying 135% genoa, paynig yacht club dues, etc...
He actively raced for about 8 years until he couldn't find crew (all moved to faster boats). True Corinthian, out there to sail better even if he didn't win. And I wish there were more out there like him

Jay