A recent trend is for major beach cat regattas to require a show of proof of at least 100,000 in liability insurance coverage. (It's rarely checked and it's not like you could validate some one's proof of insurance anyway)

However, my local CBYRA races and major Championships like the Acura Key West Race Week don't require any proof of insurance.

http://www.premiere-racing.com/keywest09/forms/KW09_NOR_pt1-2.pdf

Section 14 details responsibility... (It's clearly the skipper's total responsibility)

Why do beach cat organizing authorities decide they want to have something to say on insurance liability when the issue is between two private parties (with or without their insurance companies)

Seems to me that society has a pretty elaborate civil system to handle this dispute.... Hell you can even get a shot on Judge Judy's show if you want.

It can't be the price of the boat.... the real nightmare is the financial cost of a serious personal injury that you would be liable for ... That would pertain to all skippers, laser on up!

Anyone have a plausible reason?

I assert that it sounds like a good thing to require this liability proof but we organizers are making a big mistake. (We now include the organizing authority into the dispute if we don't do this properly)

I assert that there is a good reason that the pro's running regattas don't ask for proof of liability!

crac.sailregattas.com