I respectfully disagree that it is possible to change RRS 11 with the SIs. RRS 86.1(b) states the specific rules that cannot be changed by SIs, and that refers to 86.1(a) which includes all Part 2 rules. And, RRS 11 is in Part 2.

I actually think this is a good thing, because Part 2 rules are really the fundamental rules that keep boats from going boom. As has been pointed out several times on this site, no one ever reads the SIs anyway, so trying to change this rule for a specific event (or series) could lead to a false sense of security, and more crashes caused by those who didn't know about the SI change.

There are enough other rules already, and besides common sense, those tell you to not hit another boat, no matter who has the right of way.

My rule of thumb has always been, if I can't see the other guy's eyes, he can't see me.

I've sailed on spinnaker boats, and they have certainly gotten better (higher off the water, etc.), but the onus is always on everyone to keep watch. If that doesn't work, avoid the collision, hail protest and figure it out later.

EDIT: Or, work to have the RRS changed...

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 04/13/10 11:08 AM.