I didn't say it never happens, but to want to change the rules because it's such a common occurence ,is a problem.The discussion was also about seeing other boats not rudders blowing out. The whole premise of this thread astounds me.
I don't want to believe it, and I'm not happy to say so, but it seems to me that people are trying to excuse poor seamanship by blaming the rules. The argument goes "I can't see other boats, and I can't control mine, so other people should be obligated to avoid me". The fact of the matter is that ALL boats, whether they have right-of-way or not, must avoid contact if reasonably possible. That means everybody must watch out for other boats, and maneuver safely when boats meet.

Read that quote, I'm saying the exact same thing just not as PC correct,But those that know me know that's not my strong point. Accidents happen,if a rudder blows out and you hit another boat that is an anomaly not an occurrence that demands a rule change. If you aren't keeping a proper watch and you hit another boat, that is poor seamanship. there's a big difference.
Also I have sailed a spin rigged cat for 15 years, and do not agree with the forementioned generalization.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White