Originally Posted by Undecided
Isotope:
Originally Posted By: Undecided
Doing them ASAP == before the finish so I've got all bases covered.

No. ASAP means immediately after the incident, not anytime before the finish. See the quote below:

Answer me this.

If I do my turned "As soon as possible" ... how is that not in the set of timepoints in the superset of "before the finish".

I can't think of any scenario in which doing a turn as soon as you are able to is not before you finish unless you foul someone AT the finish line.

You misunderstood what I wrote.

Yes, quite possibly I misunderstood your statement. Perhaps it is the programmer in me. I read "==" as the identity operator. So, while doing a turn before the finish is a necessary condition for exoneration, it is not a sufficient condition. In other words the timepoints encompassed by, "as soon as possible" is a subset of "before finishing", but the two are not identity sets. Therefore "doing them ASAP" is not the same as "before the finish".

If you meant "I did the penalty ASAP", then you are ok. If you meant "I did the penalty before the finish", then you are not. I read your statement as the second.

Technically, all penalties taken under Rule 44.2 must occur before finishing. If you break a rule of Part 2, or rule 28.1, or rule 31 after finishing while still racing, you may take a penalty or correct the error - after which you must "finish" again.

In fleet racing, it doesn't make sense to talk about taking a penalty "before the finish". RRS 44.2 requires that the turn(s) take place "as soon after the incident as possible".

Regards,
Eric