Yep,

Mr Bounds had me "going" for a few moments there also, confusing me w/ rule #'s ... until I stopped and closed my eyes to visualize the scenerio ... so here's how I handle this situation being the port vessel ....

First Hail: I will have a "INSIDE OVERLAP, and will need room at the mark" (I do this just before reaching 'the zone'... this notifies the starboard vessel that I believe that this meeting is NOT a port-starb meeting/situation ... but a mark rounding and rule 18 will apply IMO)

Second Hail: "Room at the Mark" (this hail is made when I reach 'the zone' and starboard does not seem to be leaving me any or enough room to round the mark)

Please note that I try NOT to make a gate rounding like this as it means you have to make a 360* turn .... slow,slow,slow ...... I try to exit on the same tack as I start the rounding if possible, a 270* turn !!!! Usually faster .... so this means that you need to plan ahead as you approach the gate .... I generally try to aim for the "focal point" of the gate as I approach, so that I can use either side of the gate at the last moment as required

Now if I'm the starboard tack vessel here's what I'll do ... shift over 1.5 boat widths by heading extra deep for a moment and it also slows me down ... let the port tacker pass ahead ... come in wide, exit tight thereby gaining a "inside overlap" upon exiting the mark (hopefully) ... now I control the situation as I GRIND ever so slowly (and painfully for them)over the other boat ..... or I just be patient and drive them up past the layline ....

But I start w/ alittle communication .....

(I'm such a nasty b*st*rd .....hee,hee,hee)

Harry