Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I'm sure any sailmaker would like to know as exactly as feasable how many sails will be produced per year for the class.

The class association is a good basis to determine the approximate number of actively sailed N20 boats, and using the avg. main/jib every other year and spin every year would put the total annual sail production at......?

And what R&D are we talking about here?
- shape
- size
- material

I'm not sure I understand how much R&D costs (labor, testing, materials,.... what else?)

I think that's one of the big question marks. R&D from the factory would consist of what? versus R&d from an independent sail loft. My guess is there would not be alot of either. If I went to an independent loft, I would show them what I had and explain what I was looking to improve on and let them change within measurement constraints as they see fit.
My thoughts are(open or SMOD): for the spin -Flatter more current design like a tornado or f-18. For the main- a flatter (maybe) cut with more sail area moved to the square top from the foot area like an A cat or the new F20 sail. The jib would need to be tailored to whatever changes are made to the previous 2.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White