Originally Posted by waynemarlow
Why do we get all so luv eyed with the Tornado, I know its the proven champion but as with all champions at some stage they are going to get beaten and surpassed, heres our chance to introduce a new kid on the block that we can all aspire to over the next 20 years.

An over weight F16 ( unfortunately we cannot deal with the handicap issues of light boats in the short term due to the organising committees not wanting to upset too many other established classes ) with banana boards, has all the street cred ( good looks ), soft handicap to win handicap races, with lots of toys to play with and if we were really brave, a hard wing as without doubt they will be with us more and more in the short term ( forget the transport issue, you still have to move 16ft boats and long masts so just adding a bit of width to the mast is not going to create many more problems, the moths already have worked out the issues on their masts ).

Those of us that were lucky enough to sail a Tornado in anger understand the fuss! It was a truly awesome boat and perfectly suited to the rigours of Olympic level campaigning.

It was big and powerful and was the undisputed king at all the Olympic class events. We need the new boat to be at least as awesome as the Tornado and to achieve that we need to first get the size right and 18ft is the minimum for such a task.

If you want as you say, something "we can all aspire to over the next 20 years" then you need a boat that excites both the sailors and the spectators. It needs to have an edginess to it and should be a challenge to sail well. Remember: the Olympics is for Athletes and as such we should expect the boat to be a challenge to sail. Example the 49er: Not really suited for club sailing but it is great to watch Olympic level teams sailing them to the best of their ability.

A little boat that encourages super light crew weights is not in line with any of the above criteria.

Its really perfect to fit in the Youth boat slot which is poorly served right now, and for sure an area that needs attention as much as the Olympic boat.

If I was looking for an area to promote a 16ft boat then I would be pushing the Youth path with vigour.