Originally Posted by rexdenton
Mischa and Carrie seem to do quite well-even in distance stuff, and as an example, I just don't comprehend any argument whereby superior male strength will be overwhelming factor in routine can racing in catamarans...I'd say strength to weight is way more important, and in that sense, those smaller women can be an advantage. Not trying to start a war here, but I don't feel sailing ability is influenced overwhelmingly by testosterone...

Strength to weight is what its about, and men are always going to have a higher potential strength to weight ratio. Its not something I am making up, its just how it is!

Have a look at the 470 class, its a great example. Men and Women teams have the same weight and in a clear majority of races against each other the men will win. Its not because the men are better at tactics or boat speed, there is nothing at all stopping a womens team doing that just as well as the men. Fact is that even though the 470 is a shitty little boat it is still a physical one for the crew and the men crews have an advantage. The men can pump the rig harder and longer, they can roll tack the boat with more energy, more times. They can hoist the kite faster and trim it with more force, pump on waves harder and more often. All these things you will see in a mixed multihull.

Sure you will still have women crewing, but its not going to be the norm nor the most effective. I have nothing against women crewing and in fact it would be great for me if my girl crewed (i am a **** crew!!) but its simply not the right way to go in this new discipline.