I'm rather surprised that there are people that see including a mixed team in the multihull as a bad thing.

It's just like any other rule. If you want to win you could change the sail plan or the hull shape of your boat. But you cant because there are rules that govern this. It is the sailor that has to earn the win. Making a rule that means each team has one of each of the sexes means neither team
has an advantage and they still have to earn the win.
50% of the potential multihull market is female yet if the people who say women can never compete against men at an elite level are right then without enforcing a mixed team we don't get females at the top of the sport acting as role models for girls who would like to see themselves in that role someday. That means you effectively alienate 50% of the potential multihull sailors.
It has always amazed me as to how male dominated this sport is. No wonder it is such a small sport. Give the women something at the top of the sport to aspire to and you will bring more of them into the sport and that will probably also bring in more guys. Nothing like a place to meet chicks to bring in fellas.

This is not a big sport. We can't afford to leave 50% of the potential market out in the cold. If we want the sport to grow then this is probably the best thing that could happen to it.

Last edited by phill; 05/14/11 05:23 AM.

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!