Paul Pascoe writes:

So what next?
The immediate task is for the Equipment Committee to come out with a spec for a multihull and a plan for evaluating potential boats. This will include a trial of some type, probably in Europe and most likely in conjunction with the evaluation for the Womens skiff. We need to make sure we get the right boat in the Olympics, and by "right" this means a boat that will not leave us in the same position as we are now, where a fantastic boat was voted out of the Olympics because not enough countries were willing, for whatever reason, to campaign at the Olympics. We need to look at two things:
1. What were the characteristics of the 2008 Tornado that meant that it wasn't embraced around the world, and we need to be brutally honest in this assessment
2. What are the characteristics of the Laser and the 470 that means that they are embraced around the world
We also need to keep in mind the ISAF Youth Worlds and make sure there is a clear stepping stone from the Youth to Olympic boat.

Two Key points... they will evaluate both new classes together.
(People will view these choices as a package... no matter what you say)

Participation is the underlying key factor.

Alive... I could have guessed AUS... given Bethwaite and the country's history with skiffs... But...I can't find participation or growth of skiffs outside the EU and North America. The Brits report that they have lots of little skiff classes but participation has not grown over the last 10 years.

Help me out!

Who has a plausible answer to Paul Pascoe's two issues.

do you say... .the past be damn we are going for the ideal Olympic boat?

Versus do you say... those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it... We are going for a boat certain to be popular world wide?

crac.sailregattas.com