JC's SA post definitely hints that he sees a favor towards light sailors in light conditions (duh), but really, would you expect different. If its light air light sailors will always do better. I really don't see the point / worry to this.

Olympic sailors, with their federations behind them will investigate the prevailing winds for the Olympic venue and will decide on their weight and hit that target no matter what boat they choose. Look at China for an example of expected light air and a bunch of starving Laser sailors (also as an example of how hard weather predicting can be...). Sure the boat has a range, probably between 280 and 330 combine, much like the F18 has a range of somewhere between 300 - 360 (pulling these out of my hat, don't quote me on those) and if you are off either end you you suffer in respective conditions, so does a laser, a Finn, a 49er, etc etc.

Just don't get the point of this weight discussion. The olympic boat should be based on junior development abilities, quality of build, technicality of sailing the boat, ability for the most countries to compete, etc etc. Let the athletes (and their coaches) decide what works. Unlike most weekend warriors, they will go to the gym, hit the bike, row the machine until they are the right size for whatever boat and venue gets chosen. It's all part of the game.

/end rant

my 3 cents