Originally Posted by NacramanUK
Originally Posted by Tom Whitehurst
F18 too big and heavy. Yep

The real question is what rig is Nacra putting on the 17. If its an F18 rig than not a good idea for a mixed crew.

Nacra 17 will have a 2 part carbon mast with a scaled down F20 Carbon sail plan.

But as a matter of interest and argument why do you believe an F18 rig is not suitable for an Olympic mixed team? I am ready for a row about this!

I'd argue a different point. "It's just too big and heavy" not for mixed crews, but just in general. The T is 155kg, the F18 is 180kg, ~25% lighter.

If it's supposed to be a "pinnacle" event, put a fast boat out there. How long did the T reign supreme? I don't think that the Star or some of the other monos that are in the Olympics are good representations of the sailing world outside of the games. We've all moved on to faster/better platforms. Popular as the F18 may be, this boat should be leading, not following. If you want more television coverage, more sponsors, more sailors, more events; you have to pick a hot platform, not just b/c it's popular with the sailors.