Originally Posted by Jake
I'm not going to a 17 foot boat. Not only due to the size of the boat, but it's light and small making it even more sensitive to proper sailing crew weight. I'm pretty happy with my F18 and while it's heavy by F16 standards, it evens out the playing feild a little...and when two of us can no longer manage moving the boat around on shore, I need to quit anyway.

Jake, don't confuse weight with volume, my betting the new 17 alongside a F18 will be not that noticiably smaller and will carry two fully fit male crew no different than the F18. What you will get is that accelaration in the puffs from the much lower overall weight and semi foiling. Perhaps we should ask someone who has owned both an old N20 and the new F20C which boat they would sooner sail.

Macca I bow to better knowledge but I haven't seen a brand new F18 for a couple of years now other than at the F18 national champs where it was I think the Nacra dealers demonstrator. Would those same buyers stick with the F18's if a more modern class appeared and on the water was more fun to sail, I would suspect not.

As to business economics, yes they can make money by selling parts at grossly inflated prices in OD closed markets. Most business advisors would say that is not the best way to make money though as you limit your market to such a small cliental that your overall sales figures will be low. Has any manufacturer tried a get them out the door with widely available parts and change the model every two years other than the A Class which has a high initial cost, I can't think of any. By changing the business model maybe they would make even more money.