Here's my take on things, for what its worth. I typically sail a pretty good mix of uni and sloop. The last two years have been mostly two up, but I think next year will be a different story and I will be back to sailing singlehanded.

This is also figurin' that crews are of about equal skill. Observations, no real data to back up a single thing. This is also written more from a singlehanded point of view I guess. I'd say I'm probably on the side of defending the singlehanders.

Light air- (I'll define this as sitting on the boat, and not depowering anything) Upwind the two up boats have this pretty well lit up. Mostly because I think its easier to sail a sloop in lighter air. The uni has some height, sure, but the sloop boats have a small advantage going to weather. Especially if there is chop. The extra weight helps get through that. Downwind I'd say the uni has some advantage. Not much difference in height, but downwind sail area is about the same, and the uni can really accelerate and latch onto something moving down the course.

light/moderate air- (On and off the wire singlehanded but mostly on, sloop boats will be sending crew out here and there) This is where the uni shines. You've got height going to weather, and about equal boat speed. Things are moving, but you haven't run out hands yet, and the loads aren't killing you. Downwind you are a rocket and you may or may not be wiring downwind.

moderate air - (Singlehanded is on the wire consistently, two up boats are mostly two wire sailing going to weather, maybe trapping downwind) Uni is starting to get their hands full, and depowering a bit, whereas the sloops aren't doing much in that department. There's more sheeting to be done, and few and far between can run a main with one arm like a crew can with two. Downwind I'm on the wire as much as possible. You pretty much have to be to make up ground on the sloop boats well. Which is another reason why I like having an equal number of course legs, ie two upwind legs, two downwind legs.

Heavy air- (singlehanded is depowered big time and probably maxed, sloops pretty much are too, sloops are definitely wiring downwind. This is where I get my butt handed to me. I've abandoned trapezing downwind because it creates more problems than boat speed for me. I can do it up to about 16kts of wind, but that's about it. There isn't enough weight to get the speed up and really get the apparent wind around, and it starts getting trippy and wanting to dive a lot. I'm not sure its so bad though, as you can drive deep really deep. Upwind though I do think the advantage switches back around to the uni. You don't have the righting moment, but you've got good boat speed, and good angles. You end up footing a bit, because you can't sheet the main properly anyway as it creates too much power. Also screwup's singlehanded get to be much more fatal. Bad jibes, bad douses, etc. and that can cripple things pretty quickly. Things are just moving mega fast, and are hard to keep up with.

Really heavy air- (singlehanded I'm on the beach, to me that's 20+kts) F that noise. I'll mix another drink. I'm not overly fond of it two up either, but I'll do it, and I can have fun. Though weak points tend to get exploited, (either in gear, or skills)

I finish about in the same place in either configuration. Some days are better than others for sure in either scenario. I really don't have much of a preference, except in big fleets. I like having a second set of eyes on the boat for traffic, and you are blind as a bat going downwind on the wire singlehanded. Mark roundings are tough. I've got a big wing span so setting the spin goes quickly, and a pretty good technique for not touching the tiller while either dousing or hoisting the spinnaker. I'm a bit rusty on the singlehanding, but there was a point where I could jibe every bit as well solo as I could with crew.

I do think it takes a different kind of skill set to sail the two configurations. I hadn't been on the boat solo since May up until this past weekend. I had forgotten how to do it. I don't think one is really easier than the other, just different. I will say you have to be more refined with what you do, and think way ahead singlehanded, but that's more just from not being able to do three things at once. Like steer, sheet the main, and pull the tackline.

Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted by waynemarlow
For me the clincher was seeing Greg do so badly at Garda when he sailed solo. In a later discussion I had with the SCHRS all those involved seem to agree on the advantages of the dual handed boats in almost any part of a sailing race course.

Let's take away you're mainsheet cleat and see how well you do. Greg is a good sailor, but I know he hasn't spent a ton of time sailing the Viper singlehanded either. It is a completely different animal in the two different configurations.

I'm boatless.