We have good excting racing every time we go out, regardless of what shows up, Uni or Sloop. Some people can't handle the fact that a good Uni sailor is going to beat a poor Sloop team, and vice versa, so they place the "Blame" for a poor result on their configuration.

In the end I think it still comes down to who's driving (and/or crewing), no matter the configuration.

To have a real 'test' of boat configuration, I think you would have to get 10 identical boats, rig 5 as Uni, 5 as sloop, then get the top 10 skipper/crews in the world, and then race them side by side, rotating boats after each race, etc. Like the Alter Cup used to be, but with a mix of 5 Uni and 5 Sloops.

At the end of the regatta, if every sloop beat every Uni, in every race, then we could say the Uni is definately slower, but until we have that kind of proof, I think it still comes down to who is sailing it.

I'm not going to worry about it, I go out to have fun. It stops being fun when people start crying about how they got beaten by a configuration, vs. sailing technique.

Look at any A cat or F18 race. There are guys who finish way out front, and guys who are last. You can't blame the Uni/sloop for that. There is no way all boats are going to start and finish together, side by side. The difference between the starting line and finish possition is part luck (wind shifts) but mostly skill.

Now, if we have enough interest, perhaps we could run a Uni only regatta or training event, as I mentioned earlier.

Blade F16