Originally Posted by catman
Originally Posted by Ventucky Red
Originally Posted by wildtsail7

In the meantime, any boats that are stock adhere to the standard portsmouth or other rating number and those that don’t will take a deduction in their rating per the handicap system being used.
Stock is as supplied or identical to the OEM.

Regards,
Todd Riccardi
Nacra North America
Todd@Nacrasailing.com

Thanks for making this observation Todd... this is something I have been trying to explain for the past couple of years... as detailed above, that is unless it is the sail that came with the boat or new sail built built by the OEM sail maker to those specs then you need to take the modification... as the DP-N rating was done with the "stock" equipment..

Glad to see I am not the only one interpreting this with the DP-N and modification factors..

I see things a little differently.

If your not sailing in an active class and by that I mean 5 boats or more on the course there is no class.

My comments here pertain to sails.

For us and our races we do not hit someone for not having a class approved sail as long as it's within +/- 5% of the stock square footage or fits to a set of stock length battens and of the same style (pin head or square). Material and manufacturer does not matter.

We're not discussing class racing here we're discussing Portsmouth Handicapping... To me there is a difference...

The rating for the 5.2 is 72.1.. this came about with the stock cross cut Dacron sail that was designed in what 1978 shocked

Say you go out and get a newer sail using newer materials, design, and technology. You don't think there is an advantage to another 5.2 sailing that day with a stock sail even if it is a brand new one built by EP? Certainly there have been some improvements in sail making knowledge in the past 38 years... I think Portsmouth / US Failing in their infinite wisdom sees this.. hence the modification factor

Let's say your sail has a higher aspect ratio or maybe even a bi-radial sail... due to computer modeling and designing... something not around in 1978... you're is still a pin top and still less than 5% total area... but....

As I stated earlier, I don't get into the discussion much as I have not seen too many new sails that weren't a square top and that makes the conversation pretty easy.

Add in... wasn't there a big pissing contest a while back with the NACRA 20 sailors regarding someone other than EP (which were the "official" class sail) making the sails and their not taking a modification factor.... seemed the new sail maker hit the mark with a better designed sail making those boats a little faster...

Last edited by Ventucky Red; 06/06/16 04:24 PM.