I don't think measuring the sail is such a big deal. The sail maker should certify the sq footage and mark the sail. This is advantage of having someone other than the boat builder making the sails.

To further what Sam was saying about Nacra,

I had some questions about a guy with a Hobie 17 with a square top. He was asked straight up if his sail was within the 5% because he only claimed the MN hit. He assured us that it was. He's not the nicest guy and after seeing a stock 17 next to his I finally wanted to know if he was honest. So I contacted his sail maker and asked about that sail.

This was the sail makers response. I have sanitized this email. I'm not trying to make him the issue and he isn't. If anything I thank him for being straight up and would be happy to have him make me sails. I've removed the name of the sail and added BLANK MAIN in it's place.

"Secondly, what do you have listed for the stock sail? 168sq' as listed by Hobie.

The Hobie 17 BLANK MAIN is 158sq' (15m2). I also have my version of the stock sail, same size, same battens and it measures in, by way of computer design, at 145sq' (13.8m2).

I found every one of their area measurements to be inaccurate. Did they want the true numbers? NO.

Most of their sails were designed by hand on the loft floor. It wasn't until the H20 that they were developed in a sail design program. They derived all of their sail areas by a 'funky' measurement system.

The BLANK MAIN is 8% larger than the stock sail, but in Hobie's world it is 6% smaller."

I called the sailor out on this point. He's never come back. Now He knew but Hobie opened the door for this kind of crap by not stating the Sq ft properly.

I see SCHRS as the way to go and would like to try it.

Have Fun