Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by Ventucky Red
From what I understand, on a upwind/downwind course a bi-radial main and a tri radial jib will have an advantage over cross cut sail.

Yeah, but man, talk about splitting hairs. You guys are talking about the last remaining 1% of performance on sailors who typically aren't within a 20% max performance window. Handicap racing simply isn't serious enough to sweat such fine immeasurable details. There are conditions and situations where the dacron sail will outperform the mylar. If you really want your racing to be that close and precise, you have to go one design. If racing handicap, just get a number that's close and get on the water. You'll lose the equivalent of several portsmouth handicap points with one crappy start.

Probally so... but it is moot anyway... like stated earlier with the exception of a few die in the wool Hobie sailors that are still "class" racing; just about every older boat with new sails I am seeing these days has gone to a squaretop...

Regarging setting a rating... the policy I have adopted is you tell us what you think you are and we're good with it... should someone in the race complain, then we're gonna take a look... I have found the saling as a whole is group are pretty straight forawrd honest people.

Last edited by Ventucky Red; 06/07/16 03:12 PM.