Originally Posted by Ventucky Red
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
The sailor is responsible for his rating.... If the RC made a mistake... you don't get to keep the trophy.... you are supposed to report it.... and correct the scoresheet.
Doesn't matter if its portsmouth, PHRF SCHRS etc. etc.

So, you make changes to your boat... you are responsible for correcting the rating if its warranted. You have to know your proper rating for the modifications you made.

In the case noted above we have many once a year racers show up... I am not about to tell them no you can't race after they drove 100 plus miles, paid for a hotel, and an entry fee..

With DP-N we can fix that right then and there with the published modifiers... I am not saying they are fair or accurate, but....... With SCHRS, not such an easy remedy... Joe Blow sailor may not have an interest getting all the "T's" crossed and "I's" dotted with being SCHRS compliant. I have directed a few people to the web site and told them to get the measurements form their sail makers so we can come up with a number..

Put yourself in my position.. how would you handle this situation.... a.) Tell them tough luck rules or rules you can't race b.) tell them those are non stock sails and there is a 5% penalty until you can provide a measurement. c.) Stick with DP-N.

Frankly, I would be realistic and come up with a reasonable number on the fly for a local event that doesn't have any regional or national consequence. Being a hard butt exclusionist does nothing but hasten the decline of our sport. I would consider applying the relative DPN percentage hit for whatever modification counted to the SCHRS number. It might take a little math but probably gets them in the ballpark. I would also probably err a little on the conservative side with a harsher rating (but do it with some specific math so I have some consistency and people can blame the formula instead of me). If they want a better rating under SCHRS, I would explain that they would be welcome to jump through the SCHRS hoop to prove out their number but above all, communicate how you derived that number and be open about it - let 'em race.

Jake Kohl