Just a couple thoughts here...

I think a National multihull association is the perfect solution. There is no reason for one class to give up their identity and purpose just to respond to the needs of other dying classes. I am confident that both can flourish. Both can enhance the other over time.

The fact that only one Hobie Cat showed up at the Steeple Chase is not indicative of a lack of interest by Hobie sailors. It is a lack of interest in that kind of sailing. This speaks well for the one design class concept... not against it. The Steeple Chase does not promote entries to the, other than, open class minded sailors. Proof of this is in an article written after the event, on this site:

>"Due to the possible perils of this race, new sailors can be a problem and usually not allowed to register. After racing had begun it was discovered that a Prindle 16 had registered and this was the first race for the sailors -- not good!

Here they are finally finishing -- hours after the ceremonies were over. But the sailors all went down to the dock and whooped and hollered as the finished. By the way, note the bows in the air. They were not doing a roll-tack -- this was the way they were sailing the boat. Is there a seminar in their future?"<

How does that attitude promote multihull sailing? That only turns more sailors away from the sport! I think that event represents the attitude of the multihull class racer. Those that fare well buy bigger, faster and more expensive boats, sails and equipment just to try and stay competitive. There are needs for several kinds of racing. Those who want extreme and others that want the fun, equality and camaraderie of one-design sailing that promotes new and old sailors alike... not discourages them. NAHCA best represents these sailors. This has been proven out over the years to be the most successful system and class. The decline in interest in Hobie Sailing may be, but the decline in interest in other classes has been deadly to them. Hobie and NAHCA have survived due to its format and depth. To suggest that NAHCA would best suit all sailors by being a multihull class just doesn't fit.

Multihull class minded sailors should find a place for themselves... Go National Multihull Sailing Association!

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company