Steve,

Thanks for your response. First of all, if I am being a "smart butt", so are you. I am just trying to puncture your demogogery with some sarcasm; probably not a good idea, as demogogues rarely see the humor in being pricked.

I am in dispair, truly, if you think all the ills such as low fleet membership, low regatta attendance are the results of NAHCA's and Hobie's policies. It seems to be the essence of your comments. This position is so single minded and oblivious to the many other changes that have occured in our society over the last 25 years that it boggles the mind. I'm not being sarcastic here. If many believe this position, we (the catamaran sailing community) don't have a chance to improve our lot significantly.

I still don't understand your logic regarding showing up at a Hobie regatta with an I20 and not being welcomed. Without taking sides as to whether or not this was the right choice for that fleet to make or whether or not it was nice, I would guess that the fleet didn't plan for an open class and therefore had no class in which to put you. It seems similar to me showing up at a Lightning regatta with a Thistle or 49r and expecting to race; or showing up at a Tornado regatta with my H20 and expecting to race. I wouldn't expect to do so. As far as I know most regattas mention in their NOR whether or not they are hosting an open class.

In point #3, you miss the point; the suggestion to exclude other cats (unfortunate, I agree) is not why NAHCA is considered the 800 lb. gorilla, it is as I stated, because of the size of the racing organization. The same logic applies to point #5. I don't discount the other organizations you mention, but if the Hobie racing structure did not have so much influence on cat sailors and so many were not in need of the structure, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because no one would give a rat's a** what NAHCA did. The heated discussions on this bulletin board are evidence of how much the policies of NAHCA's racing structure effect sailors.

On point #8, I will echo Greg Scace's comments about the inclusiveness working in Division 11; I live in Greg's area. And our local fleet has members who don't sail Hobies. We don't make them sit in the back of the bus.

On point #9, the fleets that hold a regatta have their money on the line; not the entrants. The entrants come to the regatta, pay to get and in and sail. If the NOR includes an open fleet, the open boats come; if not, they don't.

Point #10, I love one-design racing (as I am sure do most Tornado sailors). I have raced portsmouth most of my life and get tired waiting for hours to know how I did. I have no problems with one-design regattas; they exist beyond Hobies in cats and monohulls.

Lastly, I got it! Your point is that you want to make all Hobie regattas to host an open class. In effect having all brands piggy back on the NAHCA structure. That's OK, but I don't agree. I will admit that current economics works in favor of your position. I would also council you that what you are seeking is fundamental change of the NAHCA organization. Such a change will not come about in a revolutionary way; with a frontal attack. Such a change could only come about in an evolutionary way. By attacking NAHCA and the Hobie organization, you only harden positions, when what you want to do is make them more flexible.

I hope this dialogue moves beyond this issue and goes forward about what another national organization can really do for cat sailing. Over the years, I have found that change comes as much from individual efforts done locally as from national groups that make pronouncements.

Have a good evening.

David Nees