The problem here is NAHCA and its volunteers run the racing circuit in most parts of the country. Contrast this with dingy's where independent Yacht Clubs host regattas for a great number of unrelated classes. The yacht clubs do not organize and exclude E scows from attending regattas or tell the Escows... you need to create your own racing circuit. NAHCA policy determines MOST of the Buoy racing circuit in the country. They are more then an association of one design classes...By controlling the racing circuit. They can choose to operate as a monopoly. NAHCA is the 1000 lb gorrilla here and basically will do what it wants. Why are they choosing to exclude other one design cat classes. Why are they saying... Go develop a second buoy's racing circuit.

NAHCA claims to be about one design racing. I would bet that there would be a unanamous consensus supporting NAHCA for this principled stand. Hosting other one design cat classes (A class, Tornado class, Inter 20 class, Nacra 6.0 and Nacara 5.5 Uni and Inter 17 classes, formula 16, 18 and 20) would be consistent with this philosophy.

The open class (portsmouth) recognizes that many boats, (Hobie 21's, Hobie 18SX's Hobie 17 sports plus many others) do not have enough participation to race as a class and that having a portsmouth class for them to compete in and being inclusive is a good thing.

Secondly, when currently active one design classes don't generate a decent turnout, the portsmouth system allows the racers at the regatta to continue to compete... Much better then turning around and going home because there was no one to race against.

Matt wrote"NAHCA is the only National organization that promotes 1 design. Why should they change their formula, which has been succesful, to incorporate ideas that have failed for a variety of reasons with organizations of the past."

Well they are certainly not the only organization that promotes one design racing (see the active one design classes above). Promotion of the Classes (note the plural) and Running the events are two seperate functions and I believe that this is the issue.

BTW What failed policy of past organizations are you refering to. Almost all of the inactive classes were oriented to one desgin and simply lost market share.

It seems to me that the NAHCA strategy of Hobiecentric was articulated by Jeff Alter in a letter to the Division chairmen. Paraphrasing, Hobie should focus on the Hobie 16 and the Hobie Tiger because they are viable international classes. NAHCA should discourage all other non Hobies by putting them in X class and not scoring them on handicap Most importatntly Hobie sailors should explain to them the virtues of racing one of these two Hobie boats. His vision is that by implementing this policy, NAHCA will maintain large competive one design fleets.

He is saying that NAHCA should use its monopoly position running buoy's racing to minimize non hobie participation while simultaneouly trying to persuade existing Hobie sailors (18 and 20 racers) to convert to one of the two favored classes.

I and many others don't feel that this is a strategy for success now.

Mark Schneider

crac.sailregattas.com